Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Whitney Thomas's Madison Space for 4/7/2010


This picture was taken standing in the Village looking through fence towards UREC. By taking a picture through the fence and getting the blurry effect I gave me a very different interpretation. I thought that it shows that the road and the new architecture on the far side is foreign, but still being accepted. I pictured the fence as an hour glass to show how different the new architecture is while still capturing the importance on Interstate 81. Many would think that the interstate is a dividing factor at JMU but it isn’t at all. Interstate 81 is what makes JMU what it is today. It links the JMU community together and shows that we can be one community in two separate places. If you look closely, you can see the new architecture on the east side of campus on the left and on the right you can see the old style of the village. In Mattsons “Reclaiming and Remaking Public Space: Toward an Architecture for American Democracy”, he talks about architects building spaces with symbolic power. This part of campus has changed so much because back when my parents were here 20 years ago there wasn’t an east side of campus. It was just fields and interstate 81 was nothing like it is today. Even though things on the JMU campus have changed doesn’t mean we have lost meaning if anything it has gained meaning and significance to our campus. This will shape my time at JMU because I will always remember walking across the bridge over the interstate looking at all the different architecture. When I look though the fence I still won’t see as clearly as I could therefore I will leave my mind open for interpretation; still knowing that the new technology and architecture are taking over and one day the things we think look new such as east campus will look old and worn down such as the village.

8 comments:

  1. I too, frequently walk over this bridge looking out at the vastness of 81. However, living on East Campus, I do feel separated from the other side of campus both physically and architecturally. The East side feels and looks new, without any of JMU's charm. I would argue against Mattson and say that it does have symbolic power; JMU is the future!

    Jordan Lawson Mulrooney

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember first looking at JMU and being astonished by the fact that there was a huge highway going through it. I believe that 81 is a dividing factor between the new and old sides of campus. The older part of campus is historic and beautiful with the old stone buildings while East Campus feels so new and modern. JMU does a great job of making everything look so beautiful and does make us feel as one big community but I do believe that 81 is a major dividing factor for the campus. -- Emily Amos GAMST 200

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with what you are saying in regards to you beliving that it is not a dividing factor, but I believe that it can serve as that. I believe that it shows the transition and expanding of JMU. You start with the quad, walk towards east campus and walk through the village, then cross the bridge into a completely different atmosphere with different architecture and feel to it. As you move through campus, it shows how jmu has transitioned and how the architecture has changed over the years. Its like moving from old to new. I think it unites JMU and shows change yet it can isolate different groups because I know that most science majors have classes in ISAT. I know it isolates me from the rest of the campus.

    Sarah Fisher for Dr. H

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see where each of you are coming from. It is really interesting to see other peoples point of view. I agree that it is a transition factor but if everything was the same at JMU it wouldn't be the same as it is now. Having variety is what makes JMU the wonderful school it is. Each part of campus brings something different to the university.

    Whitney Thomas

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with your statement that 81 is definitely a big part of our campus. I also believe that it separates the two campuses clearly. On one side are the older buildings with the village and quad, representing a more traditional campus. On the older side are the modern new buildings such as ISAT and the new dorms. Also it separates a lot of the majors, on the new side is all sciences mostly and nursing, even the East Campus Library is nicknamed “the science library,” with mostly science books in it. Contrary to the older more traditional part of campus with the rest of the majors. 81 is something I cross everyday and a big part of our campus, I often cross it so much I don’t even think about it anymore.

    Alyssa O'Keefe for Dr. M

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this image because it is taken from a very different perspective that is not often considered. When looking at 81 from the village or the bridge, you tend to ignore the fence. The picture forces you to notice the fence. 81 is a constant reminder of the outside world; it forces you out of the JMU bubble. You are right when you say that the highway does not divide us, but rather unites us. Every student must spend time on both sides of campus at some point, and the highway does not get in our way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. When looking at JMU with I81 in view I am reminded that JMU is only a part of a large community. Harrisonburg is more than a college town. To those who are not familiar with the area Harrisonburg might just be a rest stop, to others it is part of a large working economy. Interstate 81 is also the physical barrier that separates two side of campus. The fence keeps the bridge separate from I81 and keeps you within the boundaries of campus. By looking through the fence we can see through the boundaries of campus.

    Joseph Sarnoski for Dr. H

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have frequently been asked if the split between JMU’s campus by 81 is a “hassle” or annoying to me. I have never looked at this as being annoying or a hassle. In fact, I would argue against Mattson and say that I often see it as a way that JMU is differentiating between the many schools within the university. On one side of campus we have mostly liberal arts, and on the other science and the innovation of new technology.
    -- Jackie Jacobsen from Dr. Mulrooneys class

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Blog Archive