Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Megan Oliver's Madison Space for April 7


This is a picture of just one of the copious number of large flowerpots around campus. This one in particular was taken near Bridgeforth Stadium. The flowerpot is not the real objective in this picture, what is in the flowerpot is the most symbolic, the flowers. These flowers were not just arbitrarily planted there; notice they are purple and gold, our school colors. These flowers provide the JMU community with a symbolic and an aesthetic function. These flowers will forever shape my memory of my time at JMU. If you mention the spirited flowers to anyone who is part of or maybe even just familiar with the JMU campus they will know exactly what you are talking about. The flowers say a lot about The University, that they care about the little things, and any prospective student will notice that. I know I did. It gives the school a sense of pride. No matter what season, you will see the purple and gold marigolds standing strong. I think designers intentionally placed the flowers. But intentional or not they are a memorable factor of the campus and the landscapers knew they would be.

2 comments:

  1. I have to say, the flowerpots are one of my favorite things to look at when walking around campus. I pass them every day coming to and from class in Showker. I like them the most, not when they have these winter plants in them, but when I come back to school in August and the pots are overflowing with greenery and you can't even see the pot because the plants have completely enveloped it.

    Holland Henn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Natalia Porciello Madison Space for Dr. H

    I agree that the flowers are always going to remembered and serve as a symbol for school spirit. What is important about them to me is that they reveal that James Madison cared about making a welcoming campus for their students. This is something that Greensburg talks about when discussing architecture. I think this concept can be applied to landscaping as well. By providing a beautiful campus James Madison is conveying a message that they care about making a welcoming space for their students to study.

    Natalia

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Blog Archive