Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Tracy Poon's Madison Space 4/7



Well, this is a picture of the main entrance to D Hall or Gibbons Hall where a lot of students go to have lunch or dinner. It is located on the quad where it is accessible by everyone on this side of campus. The main reason why students go there is to eat, which happens to be one of my favorite things to do but there are also a small bank office, an ATM machine and some free newspapers stands outside. On the other side, there are other places to eat.

The campus designers probably intended for this space to become a multi-purpose space because it is shaped like a dome and it gives a panoramic feel to this building. Personally, I don't think that this can be improved anymore because it is already pretty jam-packed with different dining facilities in the dome building. In terms of being environmental friendly, I feel like it is already because D Hall re-uses the eating utensils so they are not creating more trash.

I chose D Hall because it is a place of good memories for me. I remembered my campus tour guide recommending it as a place to eat and I liked it because it offers a variety of different options and from what I have heard, students enjoy it because it is a like family diner where we sit down and can chat for hours over dinner. In regards to what Greenberg's article, he said that the dome is for fostering knowledge. If I were to apply it to D Hall, it would be for the knowledge of food but I do agree with what he said about the newer buildings are just not the same as the old ones. The buildings on the quad are definitely different than the buildings around ISAT.

4 comments:

  1. I love that you mentioned coming here on the campus tour because for me, walking into D hall on my campus tour five years ago was the moment that I decided I wanted to come to JMU. I like the way that it is set up inside; it is just a clean, casual place to hang out and eat. I have very fond memories of D hall freshman year when, several times a week, my friends and I would just stay for hours until we were asked to leave and we never missed a grilled cheese Thursday (even though the grilled cheese is probably the worst thing D hall serves).

    Holland Henn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not going to lie, eating is one of my favorite things to do and D hall is one of my favorite places eat. This has a lot to do with the all you can eat factor which before this year was a limited option at JMU. This area can also be used for people to hangout between classes and enjoy the many activities that take place in the commons on a nice day in the spring. I personally only come by this way when my stomach is empty. D hall, as said above is also a place of fond memories for me. I loved being very hungry and walking in knowing that I was going to be full in a matter of 30 minutes. I also made a lot of strong friendships talking for an extra hour after meals when nobody wanted to walk back to the dorms because we were so full. I have to agree with Holland though, the grilled cheese is nothing to write home about.

    Ryan Davis

    ReplyDelete
  3. I chose to comment on this picture because it also reminds me of when I toured JMU as a junior in high school. I remember touring inside D-Hall around lunch time. As we walked through to look at everything D-Hall has to offer, one guy yelled out “I love JMU more than I love my mom”. Since then, I’ve eaten at D-Hall tons of times. I used to live in Hoffman Hall in the Bluestone area, so D-Hall was one of the closest places to eat dinner. As sad as it sounds, my suitemates and I used to look up the menu for D-Hall online before venturing over there for dinner some nights. D-Hall is also a frequent place to eat for my team after practices. Sometimes we have to put two big round tables together so all 20 of us can sit together. Between the visit my junior year and the first two years of my time at JMU, I’ve had a lot of memorable and fun experiences at D-Hall with my friends.
    -Kelsi Kao

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love D-Hall. I have always had at least five punches a week throughout my college career. I am now a senior and preparing to graduate, I do not know how I will survive with out D=hall in my life. I have memories from throughout my college career at this space, it is a great meeting place for friends and has great food too. This picture is so striking because it will be one of my most missed spaces at JMU. It is a fairly ugly building, but experiences can make the least aesthetic spaces memorable. I am an old campus guy I love carrier library and D-Hall, Its ironic that even though E-hall is more aesthetic, I have loyalty to D-hall.

    -Zach Robinson

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Blog Archive