Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Victoria's Madison Space for Dr. H 4/7

This is a picture taken of Shorts Hall in Lakeside. Shorts Hall is a freshmen dorm and place where many JMU students choose to socialize. Students can be seen tanning by the lake, playing basketball on the adjacent courts, or doing homework underneath the trees. Although the dorm was made more specifically for living, it has become a place for students to gather together and socialize because of the close dining facilities and open space that allows for activities. Shorts is located nearby Eagle and Chandler dorms forming a closed in space between the three, where basket ball hoops are located with tables surrounding the outside of the court. The closed in area allows for large groups of students to congregate. Originally the closed in space was meant specifically for playing basketball but the tables were moved to surround the court to create a more engaging atmosphere for those who choose to do their schoolwork or watch others play sports in the space. This space will most likely shape my memory of my time at JMU because with the large groups of students that surround the dorms sleep is somewhat difficult to come by.



3 comments:

  1. I can relate to this picture because I lived in Shorts my Freshman year and it brings back memories. I remembered how there are four wings on each floor and each floor is only single sex which is different than the dorm that I am in now. Victoria listed most of the uses for this space. One thing that I want to add is that some people cook in the kitchen sometimes so that's another use of this space.

    -Tracy Poon

    ReplyDelete
  2. This photograph really affects me because I lived in that hall my freshman year. That is the dorm where I met my first friend besides my roommate of course. I have so many great memories there. I remember always waking up from the garbage truck that would always come around 7:45 in the morning. My roommate and I would always have to put our pillows over our head to help drown out the sound. I also remember having wars with the other wings on our floor. I also remember eating Mrs. Green’s in the donut almost every other day. I miss Shorts Hall. I used to use this space to live in last year, but now I don’t use it at all. I haven’t even back in to visit it. All the uses of Shorts Hall have been listed by the photographer.

    - Amanda Ou from J. Connerley

    ReplyDelete
  3. My roommates for next semester live here, and though I've only been on the first floor, I think this building has some interesting features. They live in the "Batcave," which is a hall on the first floor that's fairly dark and secluded(given the name). I always enjoy going there, the hall layout is the same as Eagle, but the atmosphere is different. Another interesting feature is the circular gathering area in the common room called the Donut. It is basically a circular set of couches with a large pillar in the middle. What's interesting about it, is that the couches are there for gathering and general relaxation, yet there's a giant pillar in the middle of them so you can't even see the people across from you. This limits the function of it to small groups of people.

    -Rich Barnes for Dr. H.

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Blog Archive