Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Ryan Nopper's Space


This image is of the James Madison statue that is right across the street from Hoffman hall and the bus stop. The picture is also some of the building that is on the quad. I took this photo when I was walking back from class on morning on my phone. Most of JMU students use the statue to take pictures with. There are even stepping-stones so that you don’t need to walk in the flowerbeds. Students that have just got in or are applying take pictures with him too. There is nothing about the statue that I would change or fix. The statue has shaped my time at JMU by all the memories I have of taking pictures with my friends. The statue just reminds me of JMU and puts me in a good mood seeing new students take pictures with the statue when I am having a bad day. I think that Greenburg would like the statue because it ties everything together on the quad. The statue is also a very permanent thing it is not a cheap and will just be here for a little. The James Madison statue is something special to the JMU campus that brightens a lot of peoples days.

4 comments:

  1. I agree with this picture in that it is a memorable place at JMU. The only thing I think that could have made this picture a little better is the positioning of the camera angle. I feel like if you did a straight on picture of the statue then you could have captured most of the buildings and a great portion of the quad. This could have let you speak about the beauties of the public space this statue was representing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That comment was mine and I do not know if it has my name so i am gonna just comment this to show my name

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely agree with the caption on this picture. The statue is positioned in a spot that gets so much traffic throughout the course of the day. Whether it's the last stop on a campus tour, the spot where people meet up between classes, or the spot late at night where people pose for pictures. The statue doesn't only connect the senior body to each other, but it also connects us to the history of our school and the namesake. However, with what you said about the statue tying the quad together, I feel like you definitely should have shown more of the quad in the picture to help support the statement.

    -Christine Tedesco for Dr. H

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great picture to symbolize our University. We are named after the Father of the Constitution and it is nice to have a (life-sized) statue of him right next to the quad. Not being on the quad, and facing away from it, it does suggest that it was built in a time when the University stopped being quad-centric, if you will, and started looking outward. Also, I agree that many students and visitors like to take their pictures with the statue (I have a picture of a friend with JMaddy on my phone... she's the same height!).
    -Corey Mitchell

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Blog Archive