Search This Blog

Monday, April 5, 2010

The Vet by Caitlen Manning



Veteran’s Memorial Park

This space is the Veteran’s Memorial softball stadium. It is located outside of Memorial Hall off of the main campus of JMU. Since this stadium has been recently added, tons of student’s have been attending the games. There has been record breaking attendance at both the softball and baseball stadiums. James Madison softball players attend this site daily and if they aren’t playing games on this field they are practicing on it. At the beginning of the season, two feet of snow covered the field so being able to play on the field now is very exciting and this picture represents the beautiful weather that Harrisonburg has been getting. The only thing that really needs improvement is the placement of the stadium. The sun is horrible for players at most times of the day. Even night games are rough on the defense because they are glaring directly into the sun. This stadium is very environmentally friendly. It was placed in an area that already had a field so nothing was torn down in order to build it. This stadium will create many memories for me at JMU. All of the hard work and time I have put into playing softball is represented by this field.

JMU goes along with Greenburg’s article because it is such a pretty campus and the students that go here represent that beauty. The architecture is very different though. There are older styles of buildings such as the quad and then there is East Campus which has a newer look.

Caitlen Manning
Dr. Connerley

3 comments:

  1. I wanted to comment on Caitlen’s post because I too wrote about Veteran’s Memorial softball stadium. In my post, I talked how I was upset that JMU tore down my high school’s football field and track. A lot of memories were created watching Friday night football games in the fall and running races on the track in the winter and spring. Although we have different opinions and perspectives, I really appreciated her comments. Her post reminds me that this new structure has already been effective in providing enjoyment and memories for others. Not only do players love the new stadium but so do the fans, which I think is really important. So, although I may not find happiness and create memories with the new structure, I will never forget what was once there. I find comfort in knowing others are already appreciating the complex.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that is's great that the varsity teams have somewhere to play and practice all the time. However, I think that the location of these fields separate baseball and softball from the JMU campus. I know that we are expanding, however the fields are kind of off campus in regards to the other fields. Being this way, I think that they isolate the varsity teams from the other sports and the rest of the campus. It kind of separates the school and separates the varsity teams from everyone else. I also agree with the comment above because tearing down something can be sad, however new memories will also be made at these new fields.

    Sarah Fisher for Dr. H

    ReplyDelete
  3. This particular picture is very meaningful to me because I am on the JMU softball team. We are very lucky to be able to play on a newly constructed field that is so nice. I love this field and all that it encompasses, but I do agree that it somewhat separates the baseball and softball teams from the rest of campus. I think we might draw more student fans if our field was closer to campus. I use this field everyday and when by the time I graduate I will have spent more time there than anywhere else. I love the new Vetrans Memorial Park.


    Ashley Burnham for Dr. Connerley

    Ashley Burnham Blog 2 Comment 1 for Dr. Connerley

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Blog Archive