Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Frankie Wherrity's Madison Space for April 7, 2010



I took this picture at the very bottom of the Quad right in front of the entrance to the tunnel that will connect the building being constructed across the street to the rest of campus. I chose to capture this space because the Quad and Wilson Hall are essentially the central hubs of campus. Wilson Hall houses a variety of student services showing that JMU is genuinely dedicated to the students and their education. The Quad is where hundreds of students gather every day in the nice weather to hang out, study, or do both. The walkway shown in the picture was of course built to make the Quad look as beautiful as it does now, and also with the future in mind so the new building across the street will be directly connected to the Quad, and in turn the rest of campus.

However when I took this picture I had something different in mind. To me, this picture symbolizes the stepping-stones and long journey one has to endure to graduate from JMU. Being a freshman, I have to start at the very bottom and work my way to the top. Wilson Hall is arguably the most important building on campus and in the context of this picture represents my rise to importance and graduation from JMU. Symbolism like what I have found in my picture, may be just what the architects intended when they designed such things as Wilson Hall and this meaningful walkway on the Quad.

3 comments:

  1. I really like this picture. I think that this picture could be on a post card or in a calender. It is the ideal picture and image of James Madison University in that it is of the most established building on campus and shows the trademark bluestone buildings and sidewalks.. This picture brings back so many memories for me. It makes me think of all the times i've walked this Quad, how many times i've just laid there soaking up our wonderful looking campus. I think that as our University expands that it is beyond necessary to preserve this spot for thousands of other students to one day experience. This is my favorite picture so far!

    -- Tripp Tyree, Dr. Connerley

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a cool picture. Not only does this picture capture the main building that is so prominent on the JMU campus, it also captures this pathway that acts as the entrance to campus. Its almost like when you start at the beginning and walk all the way to Wilson Hall, its like you’re walking into a whole new world a world where you can learn anything you want. I feel like it is calling my name and wants me to enter this world of opportunity. I think architects knew that this long pathway would leave an impression after walk down it. They wanted this pathway to act as the entrance to the school.


    Megan Oliver, GAMST: Dr. Mulrooney

    ReplyDelete
  3. This picture is what JMU is all about. It shows the beauty of the school and the power these building have. The buildings here represent the academics that JMU has to offer. The desginers wanted to show the path from one academic building to the next but in a way it shows the paths we will all have to take one day to reach the goals we are striving for here at James Madison.

    Lawrence Petrakakos- Dr. H

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Blog Archive