Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Brandon Brown's Madison Space for 4/7

I chose Hillside Field as my space. It is used for marching band practice, archery, frisbee, and all kinds of other fun activities. In the hotter months of the year, it actually has more people on it than the quad does and is in close proximity to parking lots, Mr. Chips, P.C. Dukes, and tennis courts. It could relate to Mattson's idea of public space in a sense that it is used for so many different events. It serves the purpose of being something beautiful to look at because it is landscaped with bushes and flowers, but at the same time it's also practical because many physical activities happen on it. Something I found ironic about it involved Thoreau and how he described Walden Lake having the "Iron Horse" running through it, and Hillside Field has railroad tracks beside it as well. Hillside Field is the last green space on this side of campus if you say that the railroad tracks divide it into two. I will always remember this space since it is right in front of the only dorm I will ever stay in at JMU. Hillside Hall is the first thing I think of when I leave JMU and think of returning, and what's Hillside Hall without the field? It's the biggest social gathering area I can think of.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with your statement of Hillside field having the "iron horse" running through it. The field has to end because of the train tracks. The tracks interrupt the green space. At the same time, Hillside field holds many events and is used as a public space. Not only is the field used for the band and sporting events, but I have seen student organizations that would normally meet in Taylor have their meetings outside on the field. These organizations follow Mattson's concept of public spaces. They can discuss and debate on the field, while others throw a frisbee or tan. Hillside field is truly a diverse green space.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with all of these comments. I don't think the train tracks really takes away from the Hillside area, and if anything might add to it in the slightest. It reminds us that Harrisonburg and the surrounding areas do have a lot going on more than just JMU and this area is used for exporting and importing goods such as coal. The Hillside area is gorgeous enough as it is and I don't think the tracks take away from that at all, people still use the area as a commonplace to gather in open public space.

    Megan Becker

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Blog Archive