Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Game. Set. Match. By Tripp Tyree (Connerley)

This image was taken at the University Recreation Center's (UREC) Tennis Courts at James Madison University. These courts lie adjacent to UREC and right over the hill from the JMU Convocation Center.

These courts were made for tennis playing. These courts are used by a variety of students for many activities. Some play tennis for leisure, while others are playing Club and Intramural Tennis through JMU's UREC. I have also seen some people use the courts to play a alternative form of soccer using the net as a barrier.

I think that the architect of these courts (all eight of them) intended for them to be used by a variety of tennis skill levels. However, there are a few improvements that could happen to these courts. I believe that these courts need a lighting system. In fall and early spring, games that run a little late cannot continue due to the lack of light. Also, surrounding these courts there if very little aesthetic appeal. A few altercations (flowers, shrubs, etc) could be added to the courts, but mostly I feel that these courts are very well maintained and kept up to date.

I think these courts will definitely shape my image of JMU because I play intramural tennis (singles and doubles) and have had a lot of fun using these courts. I have also played tons and tons of close/hard-fought matches on these courts, and will be eager to come back and show my kids one day where I played a bit of tennis in college.

I do think that Greenberg's theories coincide with the architecture at JMU. Like he said, there is a center/predominant style (Bluestone), but there are other styles throughout campus such as the Tree Houses, Village, East Campus, and hillside. Overall, I think that Greenberg and JMU have the right idea in ensuring beautiful/attractive campuses.

1 comment:

  1. It is interesting how you note that the tennis courts are open and integrated into the campus when there are a couple of elements that seem to suggests other wise.

    The first point I disagree with is that the tennis courts are open to all members of the community. I feel like this is true in theory it isn't so much in actuality. I feel that the predominant use is with professional and intramural programs, and that use discourages casual play.

    The fenced off nature further establishes this. Now it is obvious that the fence serve the purpose of keeping balls contained. However it also serves to literately separate it from the other sports areas surrounding it.

    Clearly some are able to use it as a public space, and use it for more than its stated purpose. It is just unfortunate it doesn't feel that way for everyone.

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Blog Archive