Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Sara Ilenko's Madison Spaces-Dr. Connerly GAMST 200


The space that I decided to take a picture of was the front of the ISAT building on an early morning walk from the Quad towards East Campus Library. This picture was taken from the bottom of the ISAT steps. JMU students can be found in this building completing a whole host of different things such as; attending class, completing a lab assignment, studying for an exam, socializing with friends, going to club meetings, meeting with a professor during office hours, doing research and much more.

I believe designers of ISAT intended this place to be used for academic purposes as well as providing a modern environment. Additionally, I believe the designers wanted to create an academically persuasive feel for the students, faculty and prospective students at JMU.

There is one main improvement I see in the ISAT building-the creation of a ramp in the front of the building. During my Sophomore year at JMU they took out this ramp because they wanted to make it look more appealing. While there is a ramp on the side of ISAT, it completely defeats the purpose of having a ramp in the first place. Someone who is handicapped now has to struggle and go all the way around the building to get to the side ramp.

One way this space can be improved aesthetically is not keeping the lights and computers on during the evening hours. Rather, they can be set on timers and after a certain hour everything shuts down. This will aide in conserving energy and having a reduced electricity bill for JMU.

I believe Greenburg’s article does coincide with JMU’s architecture. Greenburg talks about a variety of different types of buildings which is similar to what JMU has. I believe JMU has these different types of buildings to represent the students’ diverse personalities, ideas, goals, and morals in life.

This space is where I had my first college class during my Freshman year, and ever since I have been spending a great deal of my time in that building. I have truly grown fond of ISAT simply because it is where I have learned a great abundance of knowledge, made friends with classmates, and built several relationships with professors. Additionally, the stairs I have photographed in my picture symbolize the hard work, effort, and determination I have put into my academic life at JMU and I know I will be proud once I metaphorically reach the top at my graduation.

--Sara Ilenko

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I chose to comment on this picture because this is one of my favorite places on campus. I think the view from ISAT is gorgeous, especially when the sun is setting. Sara was right, there are numerous uses for this space. Students can be found in ISAT for class, studying, or even sleeping on the multiple chairs or benches. Many students also sit outside of ISAT on a nice day. I use this space mainly for class, and I'm sure I will spend a lot of time here throughout the rest of my JMU career. I really like how the sun is rising in the background behind ISAT. It gives a lot more meaning to the picture and truly "shines a light" on our campus.

    -Kellsey O'Donnell

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this image of ISAT. It is such an interesting building and so different from other buildings at JMU. That is what makes it so unique. The James Madison statue overlooks the entire campus from his spot at the top of the ISAT steps. This space means a lot to me because when I was a new member in Student Ambassadors, the top of the ISAT steps was the first place I met some of my future best friends. This space is functional, unique, and progressive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am struck by this image, because many of my most difficult classes at JMU were taken in the ISAT building. My most miserable time at JMU, was 8 a.m. Organic Chemistry which began with this type of image on the horizon. I think this is a beautiful picture, it is quite ironic this building has such a negative association. This building is icon of science and technology, the architecture is indicative of its modern and progressive purpose. ISAT is a beautiful building however I feel the green spaces are not as utilized as the quad, could this be due to its modern or industrial look?
    -Zak Robinson

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Blog Archive