Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Chris Page: Madison Space for Dr. H. 4/7


This photograph is of the White Hall sign. It is located outside the dormitory on top of the Village. It symbolizes more than just a building that houses over 150 students each year. It shows a way of life that one will never get to experience again. Although the designers intended this to be a place to sleep and study, so much more happens in a dorm. With rules against drinking, and RAs to enforce these rules, it is amazing how much alcohol is snuck into the building and consumed by underage students. These students convert closets into beer pong tables, uses their rooms as places to party, sneak kegs into the closet, and the best place to enjoy a can of beer is in the shower while getting ready for a wild Friday night. As long as everyone is reasonably quiet, it is almost too easy to do all of these things that must not have been intended usage of the dorm by its designers. Although it does serve its practical function as a living space for underclassman, it is also symbolic of so much more. Seeing this sign reminds me of all the adventures of freshman year. I see it and reminisce of the late nights hanging out in the court yard, the nights spent sleeping in the bathroom, and the dozens of close friends I met. Many of my best memories took place my first year while in White Hall. These are the memories I will think of when looking back at my JMU experience. I am not sure how White Hall has changed over a long time span, but I know it has gone from a freshman dorm to a sophomore dorm. I assume that back when the legal drinking age was 18 that students were allowed to drink in the dorm. This may have been safer and create less risk of punishment, but half the fun is being able to break the rules and find ways around getting caught. Going further back to when JMU was an all girl school, I am sure that the dorm life could not have been exciting. Living for the first time in a coed environment resulted in numerous love scandals, drama, and gossip. It was definitely a year to remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive