Search This Blog

Sunday, April 4, 2010

The Donut- Liz Cozzati


This picture was taken inside my dorm, Shorts Hall, which is in the Lakeside area of campus. It is the first thing you see when you enter Shorts. It’s called the Donut due to the large column in the middle surrounded by curved couches. Not only do we have a tv lounge, a study lounge, and common rooms for each wing in the building, but we have the Donut. People are almost always in the Donut whether they are studying or to socialize. It was a great place to be to meet people in the beginning of the year. I think it was designed to be a central place for people to interact in the dorm no matter what wing or floor you lived on. It definitely is not the most attractive space but I don’t know what can really be done about that. They might get better cushions to increase comfort. There are also not a lot of ways it can be improved environmentally except for maybe limiting the amount of time the lights are on during the day at least. This space will always remind me of my freshman year and late night Donut parties. It is a unique space that I am fond of and can call my home.

I think Greenberg is both right and wrong when it comes to JMU. There are noticeable differences in regards to the architecture in the different areas of campus (Skyline, the Village, Hillside, Lakeside, and Bluestone). So there is some discontinuity but I like how they kept the new arts center similar to the rest of the quad. And as far as there being no center, I really wish that the quad was more in the center of the campus rather than the village. But, I love the campus and I think it does well with the all the hills and such of the area.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive