Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Cara McCabe's Space- Keezell Hall


This is a picture of Keezell Hall on the James Madison University campus, and it is the building located across from the library and next to Wilson Hall. Students within this building mainly are taking English or Foreign Language classes. The building is designed and organized so that students can attend literature or language classes, see their professors in their offices, and easily contact the English or Foreign Language department. The campus designers conveniently placed this building across from the library, so all English majors have quick access to the books they need. Even more, campus designers have placed benches outside the building, and they have taken into consideration the landscaping, as there are plenty of trees surrounding the building. Students have places to sit, relax, and talk with their friends until it is time for their classes to start, and so I have always enjoyed this spot on campus. I think the inside of the building could be improved, as it can get awfully crowded in between classes, and some of the classrooms are too small. However, I am overall fond of Keezell Hall, as it is the building I spend most my time in, being an English major. I feel that the building is well made, and I have little concerns regarding its sustainability at this point in time. I don’t have environmental concerns regarding the space either. For the most part, this space will shape my memory of JMU because I am there Monday through Friday taking classes. I have had many great experiences there, and I have done most of my learning in that building. Greenburg’s article is correct with respect to JMU because he says that a campus should have buildings that create a sense of uniformity. Keezell hall does this, as it has the bluestone affect like the other buildings of the quad. However, the architects still give Keezell its own unique features so it can distinguish itself from other buildings on the campus.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive