Search This Blog

Thursday, April 8, 2010

Chelsea Krueger Arboretum





Edith J. Carrier Arboretum
The land, which currently houses JMU’s Edith J. Carrier Arboretum, was originally part of a 240-acre farm purchased in 1952 by President G. Tyler Miller. Today, strolling along the nature path running through the land, driving by the area, or looking at pictures, one might not believe that once upon a time it was a flat pasture full of grazing cows. The idea to construct an arboretum came about when JMU was still called Madison College, by a botany professor. Finally, in 1985 President Carrier got behind the project, along with other local members of the community, and made the botany professor’s dream become a reality. The 125-acre arboretum has become an outdoor classroom for not only JMU, but also local public schools, and community groups. Today, JMU’s Edith J. Carrier Arboretum is the only communal nature preserve on a college campus in Virginia. Today, the land is still being used as an outdoor classroom, and recently Frances Plecker Educational building has been added to the arboretum in order to further visitors’ learning experience.
JMU students, elderly community members, and children all gather together in this area to relax and enjoy the beautiful scenery. Personally, my friends and I love coming together in the arboretum. Whether it’s me and my roommates playing in the snow, soaking up the rays, going for a run, walking my dog along the nature path with my boy friend, or using the area to walk from campus to my apartment in Stone Gate. The arboretum, for the past 30 years has become a well-known area specific to JMU’s landscape. It still holds true to its original purpose, bringing people together for educational aspects, and also social aspects.

7 comments:

  1. I chose to comment on this post because I think the Arboretum is a beautiful part of JMUs campus, and believe it or not was a factor for me when I decided to come to JMU. I think as far as topics relating to or class that it concerns relates to the video we saw about Harrisonburg's growth and how what effects the community. In parts of the Arboretum you can see Stone Gate resting on a hill on the outer edge of the Arboretum, on the other side, a Costco. The community is pushing its limits, and you can see it when you get one side or the other of this little sanctuary

    ReplyDelete
  2. The arboretum is another one of JMU’s multipurpose spaces. One can go on a relaxing jog there, read a book by the pond, explore, relax, do yoga, or even learn something new. I went to the arboretum during fall semester for extra credit. I also took a walk in it during one of the snow storms this past winter and it was absolutely beautiful at night. I’m also doing yoga class this Thursday. I actually don’t spend a lot of time there but I wish I spent more especially during this weather. I like this picture because it’s so green! Also, the arboretum really is the closest escape we have.

    -Liz Cozzati

    ReplyDelete
  3. This picture sticks out to me because I have never been to the arboretum but I have heard so many great things said about it. I have heard that it's beautiful and such. The author of the post listed almost all possible ways of which the space is used and I would love to go visit it sometime and see it for myself. The image seems so peaceful and serene, it seems like a good spot to go after a long day.

    -Tracy Poon

    ReplyDelete
  4. I chose to comment on this picture because this blog deals with nature and the beauty of the Arboretum. The positive and negative views of nature and its meaning has been a topic that we have discussed in class many times. After reading, I found it shocking that the Arboretum was once a flat pasture gull of grazing cows, and today is now an outdoor classroom. It is apparent that the Arboretum is a beautiful place in nature that holds several functions and I am glad I am able to experience it.

    -Alexis Apostolidis

    ReplyDelete
  5. Since my time at JMU, I had no idea that the Arboretum was originally part of 240-acre farm. I would have never have guessed that cows used to be grazing where the pond is now, and were I have had many picnics and study sessions. This is a prime example of how much land can change over time. I have enjoyed many walks and runs in the Arboretum, and glad that JMU purchased the land in hope of bringing the community together. In the Arboretum, you will find many students, members of the Harrisonburg community, and as well as faculty members and professors of JMU, all doing the same thing; benefiting from the beautiful scenery the Arboretum provides. –Melanie Torano

    ReplyDelete
  6. While knowing the arboretum existed, I have never spent any time there, which is why I chose to comment on this post. I really liked that you gave a lot of background information in this post. All of this was completely new to me and actually quite interesting. Your post mentions the educational and social uses for the arboretum, and this is the kind of thing we spoke about in my class. While the arboretum can still be used just for people to look at, it is a public place that many different age groups use as a place to learn and talk to one another. This is a fantastic photograph of the arboretum, and your post showed me that the arboretum is much more than just a pretty place to be alone.

    -Frankie Wherrity

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Blog Archive