Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Kellsey O'Donnell's Madison Space

This picture is taken from the window in my common room of Weaver Hall, in the Village. I chose this picture to use because I look through the window every day as I walk in and out of my dorm room. I picked my favorite time to take the picture, which is when the sun is setting, because every time i walk into my dorm and see this I think it is so beautiful and I realize how lucky I am to be able to attend JMU. Although my main focus is of the mountains and the sunset in the distance, this photo also encompasses a bird's eye view of the village. Many JMU students utilize this space every single day, especially when the weather is nice. There are always people outside when it's warm, whether they are playing volleyball on the sand court, basketball, or just simply laying out and enjoying the sun. I think the campus designers intended for this space to be used just as it is, a fun place to get together with friends and enjoy your time here at JMU. The only thing that I wish was different about the Village is the uphill walk to my dorm that I experience multiple times per day. If there were any way for the designers to change this I would recommend that, although I completely understand that we are in Harrisonburg after all, and the hills are unavoidable. I don't believe there are any more ways this environment could be improved with respect to environmental concerns. I strongly believe that the JMU grounds staff does a wonderful job keeping up with the plants, trees, and flowers to make the Village look appealing each and every day. This particular area will stick in my memory as I have been spending my entire freshman year here! I have so many good memories to look back on that have taken place here at JMU, especially in the Village. I strongly believe that the "meaning" that is described in Greenberg's article accurately parallels with JMU's campus. This campus definitely has meaning and a defining image to it. From the Bluestone buildings on the Quad, to the brick buildings in the Village, and even to the new uniform buildings on East Campus, JMU is one campus that provides a friendly environment and warm welcome to all who walk through it or live on it.

-Kellsey O'Donnell

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive