Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Under Construction by Keith Picher


The new and improved football stadium is currently being built on campus. The picture shown is of Bridgeforth Stadium under heavy reconstruction. It is located off of Bluestone Drive, directly next to Godwin Hall. During the football season, JMU students use this place to socialize and support their school's football team. In this photo, however, the area where they play football is now swarming with cranes, bulldozers, and a great deal of debris. Since the construction began, the work site has caused problems for students. Walking routes were blocked off and detours were set up for the faculty, students, and visitors. Campus designers intend on modifying these grounds into an upscale and vibrant stadium. This particular place could be improved for student use and environmental concerns if the work site was cleaner and more organized with their waste management. A great deal of debris and waste constantly falls or slides into the stream that wraps around the stadium. The detours were also a hassle for a few months but the previously closed walkway is now open. The construction site's biggest problem is the amount of noise that is generated from the trucks, machinery, and workers. Countless nights have gone by when I could not fall asleep or have been woken up because of the construction noise. Although I have gotten annoyed by this problem, I have also realized that the school and the construction workers are putting in a lot of effort for the sake of the students and for James Madison University's reputation. The construction workers put in a great deal of hours and are consistently putting their strength in to finish the stadium's renovation. My memory of this space will consist of mixed feelings but I believe it is a beneficial reconstruction. It's beneficial for our football team, everyone involved with JMU, and the surrounding community. With respect to JMU, I believe Greenburg's article is incorrect concerning the architecture and design of football stadiums. The reconstruction and renovation will allow for the football team to become more recognized in the NCAA and the JMU community will be privileged with a new and prestigious stadium.

-Keith Picher-

3 comments:

  1. I chose to comment on this photograph because I am very excited for the new additions to Bridgeforth Stadium. I think that the photographer addressed the uses for this space very well. It is a large project to help improve the JMU football stadium and gain more national recognition. The renovation of the stadium also intends to allow more people in the JMU community to attend their beloved Dukes games. I walk by the construction every other day for classes. I have also been frustrated a little bit because of the detours that make me walk much further than the previous semester while walking to and from classes. The excitement and anticipation of the renovation being completed for the first home game is what moves me about this image.
    -Brian Tavenner

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think that the photographer provided a very accurate description on what this space is used for here at JMU. Students here have always taken advantage of this space to express their JMU Dukes pride is any and every way, its events that were held here brought the student body together to cheer on our football team! Bridgeforth Stadium has been home to some of my most memorable times here, socializing with fellow Duke fans and actively cheering on our football players! i currently dont have any use for this space because of the construction that is being done to create a bigger and better stadium, but i'm sure that the new stadium will be an incredible way to show the JMU Nation's Pride. The thing that moves me about this image is just seeing how the place where so many of my memories freshman year, is no longer standing.
    -Katie FineSmith

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wanted to comment on this photograph because the football stadium construction has been an on-going project throughout this entire year. I’ve only been to one football game in my two years at JMU so far, but it was the game when we beat App State which was definitely a memorable experience for me. The construction forces me to take alternative routes to my classes every day of the week. Each day I witness both the progress of the construction and the dirty and smelly environment that it has created. The construction progress has been a long and noisy one, but the sacrifice is worth the outcome of a new and improved football stadium. This photograph moves me because I’m excited for walking my regular routes to class and for attending more football games in the future.
    -Kelsi Kao

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Blog Archive