Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Daniel Eisenberg‘s Madison Space for Dr. H. 4/7


The image I chose here is a picture of the sorority row/tree houses. It is located near newman lake and the football stadium. The meaning that this place holds is that its a place where the sorority girls can live without disruption from the rest of the JMU community. However, the row was not originally made to house girls, it was for a long time where the fraternity houses resided. I believe that the row was placed where it is because the school did not want to the fraternity houses near the rest of the students because they would cause too much of a ruckus. So they built a grouping of housing away and isolated from the other dorms on campus. Nowadays, it looks like almost like a country club where the girls can layout and rest without disruption from the other students. Also, the architecture of the buildings differ greatly from that of the dorms on the quad, the village, and east campus. Overall, I think that these dorms emphasize isolation on the JMU campus. It shows a place on the campus that was not intended for the use that it has now.

1 comment:

  1. This picture is meaningful to me for two reasons. Primarily because once upon a time both of my parents resided in the buildings, my mom being in a sorority at JMU, and my dad in a fraternity. I cannot even begin to describe the amount of stories I hear about life on the row, and all the fun times my parents shared there. Also, it is meaningful because I myself am in a sorority that is housed on the row, and the time I've spent in my sorority's house has meant a lot to me. I've created some great relationships in that house, and have a lot of fun stories from it as well. While these buildings are meant to house students, both greek and non-greek, they are also a place where great friendships are made. I feel like because this part of campus is fairly secluded, the people who live there become very close, similarly to those in the village or on the eastern side of campus.
    -Kelly Gooch

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Blog Archive