Search This Blog

Sunday, April 4, 2010

Nicolette's Blog Post #1

This is a picture of the Volleyball court out side of Hanson Hall. The court is located right behind Fredrickson Hall and to the left of Hanson. I believe JMU put the court in this area as a meeting place to friends and for a place for friends to play games and relax. I think the JMU students get a lot of use of out this because it is a great way to interact with friends or even meet new friends and it so essentially located right in the middle of the Village where a lot of students live.  Although this space is great and has so many uses I think there could be a couple things done to make it better. Installing a sound system would be awesome; this would be a great way for people to hang out without a hassle of bringing a computer that wouldn’t be loud enough for everyone to hear. Also having a couple of volley balls always available would be a great help especially when none of your friends have a ball to start a game with. I don’t believe this space is doing anything to harm any environmental concerns.  This space will always be a strong memory of my freshman year at JMU since I have spent so many hours at the court and had so many great memories there. I met so many new friends while I was playing volleyball and made so many of my existing friendships stronger.

            I do believe the article by Greenberg is right in terms of JMU. It states, “How can we avoid creating campuses that look like random collections of unrelated buildings?” I this has to say a lot about JMU and the fact that we have Bluestone, The Village, East Campus, and Lake Side none of which look similar. Although these areas are all on the JMU campus due to there location if spaced apart you would not know that some are apart of JMU. Although I love the way Bluestone looks compared to East Campus I think when building East Campus the should have kept the projects similar with the same materials. This as a whole would have made the campus look more put together and like one big campus instead of two different sides. 


----Nicolette Pisani 

3 comments:

  1. The volleyball court in the Village is a big social part on campus. I live in Hanson hall and can see the court from my room. People are out there at all times of the day and even until two in the morning. I feel that even though the JMU campus goes with what Greenburg is saying that the relationships between buildings are making us lose meaning of our campus. This leads me to believe that this makes the JMU community what it is today. We haven’t lost meaning of anything each building on campus resembles something different but it makes us one.


    Whitney Thomas

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that the volley ball court is a great place to meet new people and socialize. I lived in Fred Hall my freshman year, and I loved that I could look out my window to watch the volleyball games and basketball games going on. It really made me enjoy my location on campus. I also like that you suggested a sound system be installed. That would have been great, except it could have eventually gotten if the music was playing at late hours. The only thing I can suggest is that this space is used more for cook outs, socializing, and volleyball games. Anyway, I love the picture. It brings back good memories.

    Cara McCabe

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like Nicollete's picture of the beach volleyball court in the village. When I looked at this picture I instantly thought of my freshman year at JMU and how much I loved living in the dorms. I lived in Frederickson Hall my freshman year and this Volleyball court was right behind my dorm. I always saw people playing volleyball games and in the spring I sometimes saw people sun tanning on the court. I wish I was able to actually play some Volleyball games out there, but regardless this picture brought back some great memories I had in the Village my first year at JMU!


    Ashley Burnham for Dr. Connerley

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Blog Archive