Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Sarah Fisher's Madison Space for Dr. H 4/7



The space I chose to represent JMU was the UREC turf. It is located behind UREC and many activities occur there. Originally, the turf was designed for the JMU students to participate in sporting events such as club games and practices, intramurals, or even just to kick or throw the ball around with some friends. On the field, there are lines for lacrosse and soccer games. I am currently a member of the women’s club soccer team, and we use it for its intended purpose. However, there are many non-sporting events that occur here as well. For example, Student Organization Night is held there every fall and spring. It is a wide open space where the JMU community can get involved in activities other than sports, from Greek life to habitat for humanity. I think symbolically the turf represents the coming together of many different types of people all with the common goal of getting involved at JMU. It also serves as a practical function because there are both club and intramural games and practices held here every week and weekend. There is constantly someone out there enjoying themselves. The UREC turf is especially important to me because it is where I became part of the club soccer team and have spent my time getting to know my teammates, who are now some of my best friends.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely agree with the post above that the UREC fields are used for intramural and club practices. I have also seen the football team used the turf fields for conditioning and training during the football field construction. The UREC fields are a place to get together with friends and have a good time. I have used this space to play intramural sports and for try-outs for a club sport. I think this image clearly depicts a space that I will remember long after I have graduated from JMU.

    Carly Ringwood- Professor Connerly

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Blog Archive