Search This Blog

Monday, April 5, 2010

Newman Lake by Ashley Burnham


Ashley Burnham's Post
This picture is of Newman Lake, which is located right inside the main entrance of campus. This particular picture of Newman Lake was taken from the small bridge that resides over it. Although you cannot see it from the picture, there are many things surrounding Newman Lake, including Sorority Row, Chandler Hall, the Bridgeforth Stadium parking deck, and Bluestone drive. Students utilize Newman Lake as a nice and calm area to relax around. Although I have heard that some students have attempted to swim in Newman Lake, I do not think that designers had that in mind when it was made. Newman Lake was definitely designed with the thought of adding a nice scenic water location at JMU. My favorite part of Newman Lake is the fountain in the middle, I think it adds beauty to the lake and attracts the eye of anyone entering campus. I think the lake could improve its quality if the water was constantly a prettier color blue, as opposed to the greenish color it usually is. Finally, I think that Greenberg had a point when he was talking about the architecture of campuses around the country today and how all the buildings do not really resemble each other. That is definitely that case here at JMU. The older bluestone buildings on the quad do not resemble the residence halls or the newer buildings on East Campus. JMU should have considered what Greenberg suggested: “adapt the lessons of the past to the requirements of the present and future” and maybe the newer buildings would at least resemble the older buildings.
Ashley Burnham: GAMST 200, Dr. Connerley

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get to look at Newman Lake every day. Since I live in Eagle Hall, it is very convenient to have the lake directly next to my dorm. I appreciate the lake because the view of the fountain and surrounding trees is very relaxing. The presence of the lake is welcoming and it is a great addition to the campus's scenic view. The photographer made a good point about the lake's sanitation. This is the only problem I have with the lake's condition and I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to clean up the waste that is causing the contamination. This Newman Lake picture moves me because it is one of the first things I saw when I first visited here.
    -Keith Picher-

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Blog Archive