Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Corey Mitchell's Madison Space for 4/07/2010

I took this picture from the East side of campus, right in front of the ISAT building. The picture is of the sun setting over the West side of campus. This is symbolically significant, because what we can see happening to our University is a shift of focus away from the humanities, and to the sciences. It is also important that the East side is at a higher elevation, as if it is looking down upon the West side. Also, James Madison here appears to be overseeing the decline of the West side, and the fields of study that go along with it.
After thinking about it, it might be possible that this was actually intended when the statue was built. The huge Madison statue (which dwarfs the modest, life-sized version on the quad) was likely built facing the West side of campus to signify a change in focus for the University. In the picture we see highway 81, which marks the end of the West, old JMU, and the beginning of the East, new JMU. After crossing the highway, nothing is the same. The buildings look different, everything is newer and bigger, (like the statue, as previously mentioned) and it seems like a progressive, not traditional, environment.
This does serve an aesthetic purpose, as the East side looks new and the Madison statue is intimidating yet welcoming, but the primary purpose is symbolic. The East side is scrapping tradition and moving forward, and unless the West side strives to keep up, the University is moving on without it.
This space will undoubtedly shape my memory of JMU. I will continue to keep track of the change in direction of this University, especially because it will influence what happens with me and the people I know in our academic future.

4 comments:

  1. First- I have to say this is probably my favorite picture of the entire blog. With that being said, there is so much to say about this photograph. Overlooking the more traditional side of campus, the giant James Madison statue overlooks much of what can be seen in the Shenandoah Valley.

    I do not really use this space for many purposes. When I am in this of campus, I may just be sitting down and studying, or waiting for a friend to get out of class, but this area isn't very useful in the way it is being used now. I feel like this are can almost be the equivalent of the commons, but on the east side of campus. I could see many different organizations and groups advertising their latest fundraiser or event in this area, but none do. Which is sort of surprising open and high-traffic area.

    --Christopher Hess

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree with the previous post and say this is absolutely one of my favorite pictures in the blog. I can’t tell you how many people have told me “you need to see the sunset from the east side of campus, It’s the best spot to be,” and I think this picture definitely captures the element of beauty that these people are talking about. As a member of UPB’s Center Stage committee, I had the privilege of driving around Corey Smith when he came to perform here a few months back. One of the things he and his crew couldn’t stop talking about was how beautiful it is here, and I think that’s something we take advantage of since we see it every day.

    - Erica Powers

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like this picture and the caption that you have provided. Although I have heard many people say that they prefer the look of the buildings on the Quad/West side of campus, nothing can beat the stunning views, such as this one, that you get when looking out over the valley from the East side.
    I've never really thought of this view in the way that you put it- that the "new" side is overlooking the "old" to symbolize the rise of the Sciences. I think looking at it in this way gives someone a better understanding and appreciation for the East side and overall campus set-up.
    --Kerri Smith

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is one of my favorite pictures of space that I have seen in this blog. I liked how you took the picture from the East side of the campus that is setting over the West side. I liked this use of space because you can see the buildings from the West side, such as the village and Godwin. This shows that the East side is new and tall so you can see the old buildings. It brings out a grand gesture of space, that JMU students are always progressing and leaping forward of the old. Also, the big Madison Statue reinforces that symbol and you can see the note pad in his arm, which shows that we are striving over just like how technology is progressing. I liked how you wrote that the Madison State is intimidating yet welcoming. I agree that it shows that our campus is a welcoming campus, but we are intimidating as that we should excel in our studies.

    --Kristen Hoang

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Blog Archive