Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Jesse Cobb, Madison Space post for 4/7

This picture is of the ISAT and Chem buildings at JMU on the east side of campus. It is used for classes mainly in the health and sciences departments. Classes include biology, chemistry, and it is home to many general education health and science courses. I think this building shows the growth of JMU, it is not a Bluestone building like those on the quad and it much larger and grander then most of the other buildings on campus. In a way I think the building is sort of looking over the rest of the college. In the left almost middle of the picture you can see the tiny dot of the top of Wilson Hall. I do not know if the designers meant to have this design but to me it is a building looker over the old campus and imposing a new sense of technology. When driving along 81 this is the second building you can really see that stands out from the rest of the landscape and I think that the designers and the school wanted this building to be able to show the change in focus of learning from teaching to the new technologies and the new engineering department being instituted. This building has shaped my time at JMU so far and I think it will continue to. For two years I have lived on the east side of campus so every morning I get up I see this building.

2 comments:

  1. The picture displays an elevated shot of most of the east campus. Along with the new buildings, there is a wide open area where students partake in class, hang out, and walk through. Even though I live on the opposite side of campus I still walk through and have classes on the east side. This picture is a great representation of JMU and its future goals. This picture moves me because from this spot on campus, you can see miles of hills and mountains. The sunsets are usually very nice also.
    -Keith Picher-

    ReplyDelete
  2. Natalie Ngu's Post for Dr.H

    The emphasis on growth of new buildings and landscapes of the the ISAT buildings is adjacent to the presence of the old campus. Though the camopus is divided by I81, there is no sense of JMU community division, we as students and faculty embrace the new changes as a sign of growth and development. Space for knowledge and education is expanding.

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Blog Archive