Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Brian Tavenner's Madison Space - Dr. Connerley


The location that I chose for my Madison Space is the James Madison University Duke Dog Alley. It is a tunnel on campus that runs underneath route I81 between parking lot C9 off Bluestone Drive and UREC. JMU students most often use this space to walk accross 81 safely either heading to or from east campus, UREC, or the Convocation Center. I'd say this alley is used by the majority of JMU students. I think campus designers intended this space to be used as a safe route to cross 81. I don't really believe that there are many ways to improve the Duke Dog Alley for student use. It more than serves its purpose and is fairly clean for an alley. The alley is also environmentally friendly with multiple drains for storms and light-colored pavement to keep it cool in the heat. This space will help shape my memory of JMU very much because I always used to walk through it when I was a little kid coming to JMU football games with my parents, both JMU grads. It is something that I always think about when I walk through it now. It will also remind me of attending basketball games at the Convo and going to UREC and flag football games. I think Greenburg's article is somewhat correct with respect to JMU. For example, ISAT and all of east campus look much different than the Quad. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love this campus and think it is all beautiful. I just think that they look drastically different. It looks as though JMU was concerned about producing new, modern buildings at east campus. The new Performing Arts Center does take on the same look as the Quad though, so there's a little bit of a mix between the relationship of the structure of new and old buildings.
-Brian Tavenner

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I chose this image to comment on because if I had a second picture, it would be this. I agree that this picture is very important because it is a distinguishing characteristic on the JMU campus. I agree that this location could not be improved in any way. It was recently painted with a wonderful mural and has been kept up very well. This picture brings back so many memories of freshman year in that I don't know how many times that I passed through this tunnel on my way to UREC or the Convocation center. This picture also brings back memories for me. My dad (JMU Alum '86) would always talk about this tunnel, even before I came to JMU to visit. I really love this picture!
    -- Tripp Tyree, Dr. Connerley

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Blog Archive