Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

The Pathway to the Trees - Christopher Hess



This photo was taken place in the treehouse area of JMU's campus. This wooden fence acts as a guardrail to the steep hill that resides to the side of the pathway. I pass this fence every morning when I head to my GAMST class. By heading down the hill that leads to the sorority houses, the trees shade you while you meander towards the tree houses. At the end of sorority row, you notice a lonely pathway that leads to the right. By taking this pathway, you'll notice this railing on your left hand side. This area is also home to the Treehouses' gathering area, complete with charcoal grills, basketball courts, and even a stairway escape to the lake with a gorgeous view of the water fountain and the rest of campus.

I feel like this part of campus is perfect. Not may people have really had the ability to experience living or hanging out around the treehouses. This part of campus almost feels like you are escaping from the rest of the world, and you can truly find time for yourself in this area. I believe that our campus can correlate to what Greenberg said about campuses, on the aspect that JMU has a gorgeous campus, and I believe that a lot of thought and beautification when into the landscaping of our university. JMU spends a lot of time making the campus look beautiful, whether it be the planting of new, fresh flowers or the architecture of the buildings that JMU spends multi-millions on. I think it's truly worth the money, and it certainly was a factor when I chose James Madison as my #1 school.

4 comments:

  1. This photo also conveys the different parts of campus, and how each has its own appeal. The Tree House area is secluded, and being far from most other areas of campus, gets little traffic. The image portrays its the area's secluded tranquility, and indicates other ways in which the JMU community utilizes space. While most areas of campus are open to all, like the Quad or East Campus, the Tree House area presents a more neighborhood-like atmosphere, even more conducive to interaction and a closer relationship amongst those who live there.

    Andrew Mabon's comment for Dr. H (4/22)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pathways to the trees is probably my favorite walk. I love the trees that surround it and the lake on the other side. When it is sunny, it looks beautiful. It reminds me of walking in the forests. The fact that it is secluded and not around many things is really cool. It is kind of peaceful and you don't hear much noise as you would in other places on campus. Also, when you meet people on this side, I feel as if they will be closer than living in another dorm. The other dorms are pretty big and you meet a lot of people, as opposed to living in the tree house and just meeting a limited amount of people. -- ERJON KOZELI

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked this picture, because it is a spot I pass through basically every day to and from class. I am always riding my bike, and usually at a pretty fast pace to make sure that I get to class on time, so it takes your full concentration to navagate through this area without hitting people or other bicyclists. I agree with the previous posts, in that this is a really nice area of the campus, particularly because it is somewhat secluded, and off the beaten path. - Bryce Tingley

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also live in the treehouses, and I like this picture because it is something I see everyday. I like living in the treehouses because it is secluded and it truly does have a neighborhood feel to it. People that live in the treehouses are all very close, and know each other. I believe this fits in with what Greenberg says about campuses being pretty, and how today most campuses are not pretty like the treehouses are. Today, no school would ever build 8 different small dorms, they would build 3 huge ones so that they could fit more students into them. College campuses seem to be losing that 'pretty' quality that old campuses have.

    -Katherine Dugan GAMST 200 Mulrooney

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Blog Archive