Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Daniel McCray Blog Post


The place I chose to blog about is the quad at JMU. The quad is kind of the life of the campus. It is a place where students have classes, come to hang out, or just enjoy being outside. The quad is located right across the street from the parking garage and buffalo wild wings on south Main Street.  JMU students take full advantage of the quad, especially when it is warm outside. An array of activities takes place there including studying, tanning, throwing a football or Frisbee, hanging out, or just relaxing in-between classes. I believe the quad is being used as it was originally intended. I think the designers wanted it to be kind of a center of campus where everyone comes together. By doing so, it makes the campus seem lively where lots of students come together and get involved.  I would improve the quad by placing a snack bar right in the center of it. This way people could remain there while grabbing some quick refreshments. Environmentally I think the quad is great as it requires no fuel or energy, and is filled with trees and a big open lawn.  The quad is one of the places I will remember most about the JMU campus after I have graduated. It is a place that I have managed to get studying done, and then have fun with friends immediately after. It is a place that brings the campus together, and almost unifies everyone particularly when the weather is nice. I don’t believe that Greenberg’s statement that campuses are not intellectually or architecturally coherent applies to the quad. It is a place that serves its purpose, and everyone seems to enjoy.

-Daniel McCray

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive