Search This Blog

Monday, April 5, 2010

THE Quad - Kelly Gooch


This is a picture of the Quad of JMU, which is probably the most representational picture that can be found for this school. It may seem super cliché that I chose this photo, but when I try to imagine what I'll picture in my head years from now when someone asks me about JMU, this is exactly it. Of course, Wilson hall stands tall in the background, with sunshine and students scattered out in the grass, enjoying the emerging spring weather. Spring has become the front-runner for my favorite season, mostly because of the Quad. It's really hard to keep from smiling when you leave a class to find hundreds of students throwing frisbees, playing guitars, and lounging with friends and an occasional dog. The feeling is indescribable.
I think when the Quad was designed, there was intent for it to bring students together outdoors. With all the wide open space, it's very hard to avoid an urge to spend time just enjoying the scenery. The designers probably knew that this would become a common area for students to just enjoy each others' presence when the weather gets warmer. I really don't see any flaws in the Quad at all. To me it represents what a university should look like, and I wouldn't change a thing about it. The landscaping is extremely well-maintained, and despite the popularity of the area, there is virtually no trash or anything to show people actually hang out there.
When I'm older and telling my kids all the stories of my college days and why they should go to JMU, I will definitely be picturing this image in my head. It's the photographic definition of what college should be. When I see groups of high school students taking tours on the quad, I can't help but think to myself, "How could they not choose this school? It's perfect!". When I picture this image in my head years from now I will feel a great sense of pride for the university in which I attended.
Greenberg's article includes points that I both agree and disagree with, however one that I particularly found to apply to my perspective was the idea of symbolism. As I previously mentioned, I think the Quad was built with the idea that students would congregate there to take breaks from the daily grind. The Quad symbolizes unity, which is a huge part of being a student at JMU. The feeling of pride that we all share for the institution we attend is a common one, just like the Quad is a common area for all of us to share.

3 comments:

  1. The quad has to be my favorite place on campus. I remember the first time I ever came to visit JMU and we were walking through the quad and I just knew from that moment on this is where I was going to come to college. I really cant think of any other uses for the quad then just hanging out with friends, play soccer, or just laying out it is defiantly a place for friends to be.

    ----Nicolette Pisani

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely agree with what was said about this picture. The quad has so many uses for its space and beauty, its almost surreal. Another way I can see this space (and have seen this space) being used is as an outdoor classroom for students. I always see teachers who are more than willing to bring their class outside on the quad's grass and just sit in a big circle and start lecturing.

    Going along with the post and the other reply, I loved JMU as soon as I saw the quad, It just felt like home, and it still makes me feel like I'm home.

    --Christopher Hess

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Quad is one of the most sought out places on all of JMU's campus. Everything that is said about this picture is true.

    I can imagine other uses for The Quad such as Frisbee Golf Tournaments and it could also be a tailgating venue for football games.

    Unfortunately only one of my classes is on The Quad and I do not have time to come back and enjoy it, so I just enjoy it on my walk to and from class.

    What moves me about this image is how it shows Wilson Hall, the head of The Quad and shows the true beauty of The Quad.

    -Sean Tierney

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Blog Archive